[Operators] Let's start some witch-hunt

Martin Sebald msebald at hot-chilli.net
Wed Jun 16 09:19:04 CDT 2010

Hello Jonathan!

>>> I'm seeing about 300 active sessions at any time from "Smack" users on
>>> jabber.earth.li, starting from about 4 weeks ago. If the consensus is
>>> that they are malicious in nature then I'll sort out blocking them, but
>>> so far they haven't been causing me issues.
> Sorry, a lack of precision on my part; "Smack users matching
> [0-9]+(lop|lmc)@jabber.earth.li". With the split about 1:5 between
> lmc:lop. Oh, and a handful that are just digit strings @jabber.earth.li

These users did not cause anything on our server, too. At least most
likely. Because as I wrote the server flatlined some times and I'm not sure
if this might be because these accounts woke up.

But if these accounts really don't do anything, the question remains: What
happens if they wake up and what is the reason for these accounts?

Regards,
Martin