[Operators] Rosters flood

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 8 10:22:25 CDT 2010

On 09/07/2010 03:22 AM, Mathias Ertl wrote:
> I still think that _good_ anti-spam solutions now are vital to the XMPP
> community. The fact that XMPP has almost nothing to fight this, worries
> me greatly. In that respect XMPP is not superior to email at all

Rather than re-hash the exact path that email went through...

  1. first identify/stop unrestricted servers
  2. then identify/stop bad servers
  3. then identify/stop bad users on good servers
  4. then identify/stop compromised users on good servers

...why can't we use the functionalities of XMPP to its advantage in
fighting spam.  Most notably: the users' rosters.

Has anyone ever suggested the idea of clients and/or servers
implementing features to not deliver, or segregate, messages from users
that aren't subscribed to each others presences?

Maybe this is already implemented to some extent?

It seems to me that this would be an effective approach to stopping #1,
#2, and #3, leaving us only to deal with #4 (which is where email is
still struggling.)

Jesse