[Operators] For Openfire admins

Claudiu Curcă claudiu at coderollers.com
Mon Apr 18 21:53:35 UTC 2011

From: Peter Saint-Andre
> On 4/18/11 10:32 AM, Claudiu Curcă wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I don't know how many of you have noticed it, but in OF 3.7.0, a bug was
> > introduced which prevented dialback from working properly. Since OF also
> > has a weird way of handling secure connections, it usually relies on
> > Dialback, especially when dealing with other server types in S2S
> > communication.
> >
> > I've noticed this only recently, when I couldn't subscribe to swen [at]
> > jabberheaven.com.
> >
> > Apparently, the issue is known
> > (http://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/OF-443) but there seems to be
> > little to no support from the official OF team. I've successfully
> > managed to patch OF 3.7.0 using the patch from
> > http://community.igniterealtime.org/servlet/JiveServlet/download/211004-10758/openfire-of443.patch.zip
> > (by Gordon Messmer) and dialback works fine again. If there are any
> > Openfire admins around who have the problem, try using the patch.
>
> Thanks for the patch. I hope you've posted about this on the
> igniterealtime.org forums. I can also put you in touch directly with the
> person I know is releasing updated versions of Openfire.

No, I haven't posted anything on their forums yet... I've been a bit busy
with personal problems, but I guess it could be a good idea to let them know
that the patch is functional. Also, if more OF admins could confirm that it
fixes the problem and report that upstream, that would be great. Regarding a
new release, imho this bug alone should force a 3.7.1 release, as it is
quite a blocker for anyone who wishes to have functional S2S services.

> > Last but not least, I wish to know which is the status of the new entry
> > requests for the public XMPP server list. Openfire users might have had
> > problems getting contacted by the moderators because of the above issue.
>
> We contact admins first via email (hostmaster/postmaster/webmaster and
> so on), so XMPP is not the primary method for initial contact (we do
> this to make sure that the real admin or domain owner wants their server
> listed, not some random IM user :)

Great, thanks!

> > Also, awesome work on the new xmpp.org website!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Peter

Claudiu CURCĂ