[Operators] about srv record

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Aug 15 07:44:58 UTC 2011

On Sat Aug 13 23:34:56 2011, Josemar Müller Lohn wrote:
> You can only get a CNAME answer when you ask for an A record.

I don't think that's true.

I think it may well choke the resolvers in many XMPP implementations,
mind, but I think it ought to work according to the specifications. A
CNAME merely states to restart the resolution using the new name.

Specifically, the requirement that a name with a CNAME record MUST
NOT have any other records (aside from certain DNSSEC ones) would
appear to support that.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/