[Operators] Out of curiousity... "What about the List?"

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Dec 15 02:03:47 UTC 2011

Ben, thanks for your work on this. Your message arrived while I was
flying back from IETF 82 in Taipei, and I've been catching up ever
since. Thankfully, my IESG term is over at the end of March, so I will
have much more time then.

On 11/20/11 2:50 AM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'l try to sum up the status as of now:
>
> I built an little application, that should make it a lot easier to
> process new list-applications in the future, as it automates some of
> the steps necessary to verify a new server.
> At the moment it has the following features:
>
> * form for server-admins to register their servers
> * automatic sending of verification-email with verification-link to
> proove email-address is real
> * basic check if server is reachable
> * check for SRV-records
> * check for StartTLS/SSL (this is a bit unreliable at the moment and
> would have to be improved)

That's great.

As I posted to the list recently, I think I've figured out a way to do
all of those steps over XMPP. However, we can and should use your tool
until the native XMPP solution is widely deployed (and it's not even
*implemented* yet in any XMPP servers, although I'm aiming to at least
do that in the Prosody codebase).

> * export of list ready to import into the current
> wordpress-table-format on xmpp.org

I had some trouble with the WordPress tables on xmpp.org -- it seems
that I was not able to remove any rows even though I am an admin of the
WordPress installation. Do you know why that could be?

> I asked if this application could be deployed to the server that hosts
> xmpp.org so that it could be integrated in to the page
> (http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2011-September/001219.html).
> No answer on that so far.

I'm happy to do that. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply.

> Regarding the list itself and new applications to it:
> We processed all new applications (until today) into this application
> and also marked old, non-responding server as not-verified there. I
> exported the updated list and imported it to the xmpp-wordpress.
> After this I asked if somebody could approve this and make it public,
> but as of now, nobody did (see
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2011-September/001220.html).
> No reaction to this so far.

Let's do that.

> The update doesn't include new applications, because email and
> xmpp-address verification is still to be done here. For this purpose
> there was a blogpost planned to inform people about a (mass) email to
> be sent out and from which email this would come to prevent
> misunderstandings (we cannot use a xmpp.org email-address).
>
> I prepared this blogpost and sent out a request for it to be
> proof-read (http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2011-September/001218.html),
> again without any reaction.

I can post that this week, or you can since you have WordPress privileges.