[Operators] Out of curiousity... "What about the List?"

Ben Zimmer ben at einfachjabber.de
Sun Nov 20 09:50:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'l try to sum up the status as of now:

I built an little application, that should make it a lot easier to
process new list-applications in the future, as it automates some of
the steps necessary to verify a new server.
At the moment it has the following features:

* form for server-admins to register their servers
* automatic sending of verification-email with verification-link to
proove email-address is real
* basic check if server is reachable
* check for SRV-records
* check for StartTLS/SSL (this is a bit unreliable at the moment and
would have to be improved)
* export of list ready to import into the current
wordpress-table-format on xmpp.org

I asked if this application could be deployed to the server that hosts
xmpp.org so that it could be integrated in to the page
(http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2011-September/001219.html).
No answer on that so far.

Regarding the list itself and new applications to it:
We processed all new applications (until today) into this application
and also marked old, non-responding server as not-verified there. I
exported the updated list and imported it to the xmpp-wordpress.
After this I asked if somebody could approve this and make it public,
but as of now, nobody did (see
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2011-September/001220.html).
No reaction to this so far.

The update doesn't include new applications, because email and
xmpp-address verification is still to be done here. For this purpose
there was a blogpost planned to inform people about a (mass) email to
be sent out and from which email this would come to prevent
misunderstandings (we cannot use a xmpp.org email-address).

I prepared this blogpost and sent out a request for it to be
proof-read (http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2011-September/001218.html),
again without any reaction.

That's about it.
Ben