[Operators] Gmail federation

Mike Barnes mike at bremensaki.com
Mon Feb 27 12:00:43 UTC 2012

2012/2/27 Björn Kempén <buffi at google.com>:
> Currently, our server fails a lot of attempted dialback for "real"
> reasons, such as domains lacking SRV records, which can make it very
> hard to detect regressions in the dialback code.
> I'm hoping to have the issues reported here resolved as soon as possible.

I operate a server that's primarily used to host MUCs, and we have an
intermittent issue where Google XMPP accounts will be unable to
connect to us. It happens every couple of weeks, then vanishes as
quickly as it arrives - without a thing changing at our end.

I end up banning a bunch of gmail accounts each time (temporarily),
since our conferences see a lot of s2s failure error message spam, but
the gmail account user simply sees silent failures.

Right now, everything is running fine, but I will make a point of
shouting out next time it happens.

Actually, have you seen or had reported the rather fascinating
behaviour unique to gmail accounts and nickname changes while in a
MUC? :)