[Operators] Finally *fix* the list-issue

Mathias Ertl mati at fsinf.at
Mon Jan 16 14:25:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

After years of waiting, delays, ignored offers for help and broken
promises, I've finally decided to take this situation into my own hands.
Yes, I've written our own tool for maintaining a list:
	https://list.jabber.at

It does (almost) everything automatically, admins only have to enter
their data and get feedback on what (if anything) is not right with
their servers. JIDs and E-Mail addresses are automatically verified. A
simple API that can be used by clients is available.

The current list at xmpp.org is in a very bad status:
* Only 63 servers are on that list.
* None have been added for years, all requests have been ignored.
* Its even impossible to *remove* a server.
* 6 don't even have SRV records defined.
* 4 have some problem with the SSL certificate via TLS netotiation.
* At least 2 servers don't even allow inband-registration anymore, the
number is probably much higher.
* ~10 linked-to pages do not work at all
* ~15 pages link to a generic page that does not give any info about the
respective service.

I therefor urge the XSF to finally ditch their own horrible list and
just link to others (i.e. [1] and ours) instead. The fact that the list
is unmaintained and many servers do not even work anymore creates a very
bad experience for all users. The fact that the illusion of maintenance
is kept up frustrates many server-admins.

Please finally resolve the situation in a realistic way.

greetings, Mati

[1] http://www.jabberes.org/servers/

--
twitter: @mathiasertl | soup: http://soup.er.tl | xing: Mathias Ertl
I only read plain-text mail!  I prefer signed/encrypted mail!