[Operators] chatroom flooders

Ed - 0x1b, Inc. jabberd2 at 0x1b.com
Fri Jun 22 04:00:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> It seems that many of those who run multi-user chat services have
> experienced chatroom flooders. What best practices do people have for
> fighting this? It seems the best we can do in real time is change the
> room to moderated so that new flooders can't send messages, but that's
> not a very good solution and we should be able to come up with
> something better. I've been thinking about ways to use entity
> reputation (XEP-0275), but other suggestions are welcome. :)
>
> Peter

How about tar-pitting the flooders - like OpenBSD's spamd? (and not
the spam filter spamd)
It has a good feature set. I like that it works out at the firewall.

wrt 0275 - I would want to integrate with the semantic web, is there
an ontology like 0275 - even with something like WebID, but I think
that pushes the scope of your problem too far. fwiw - The folks at
FOAF are going to 1.0 soon and a re looking at final touches, might be
something there to coordinate with?  just a couple thoughts - ed