[Operators] Administering of MUC

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Sun May 27 23:51:35 UTC 2012

On 28.05.2012 08:19, Peter Viskup wrote:
> Dear all,
> we are experiencing some strange situation on MUC on our jabber
> server. There were quite a lot of MUC created and most of them from
> Syria. These MUCs were moved from other jabber server on which they
> were blocked.
>
> Does somebody of you have experience with bots flooding MUCs and users
> asking for granting them admin rights for specific MUCs? How do you
> 'clean' persistent MUCs not used anymore?
>
> Main issues:
>  - listing of registered conferences take some minutes
>  - muc_room Mnesia table is about 58MBs large
>  - ejabberdctl doesn't provide commands for administering MUCs
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Peter Viskup

We use this script for ejabberd: http://kuku.jabber.ru/~xram/kill_room.erl
Compile:
$ erlc -I /path/to/ejabberd/src kill_room.erl
Copy beam to ejabberd beams:
$ cp kill_room.beam /path/to/ejabberd/beams
Connect to ejabberd using remsh and run the script:
$ ejabberdctl debug
 > kill_room:start(1).

An example output:
---
Total number of rooms: 2282
No history: 350
One message: 140
Low activity: 557
Active: 303
Busy: 932

That means 350+140+557=1047 rooms were deleted.
Low activity means less than one message per day in general. Room
history is analyzed to check that so don't run the script right after
server restart :)

--
Regards,
Evgeniy Khramtsov, ProcessOne.