[Operators] Future of XMPP Re: The Google issue

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Wed Dec 4 13:05:48 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-04 12:00, Alexander Holler wrote:
> Am 04.12.2013 09:52, schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:

>>> In fact I like XMPP, mostly because it's an open standard and it
>>> got many concepts right and worked out (specified) well. What I
>>> don't like about XMPP is the XML part and the need for TCP but one
>>> can't have everything.
>>
>> It sounds like you might want something like stanza.io with WebSocket
>> or BOSH. As a client-side API, neither XML nor TCP is absolutely
>> necessary these days.
>
> And it never was. I always could add another layer to get rid of the
> stuff below.

Alternatively, it makes total sense to use a different protocol on PANs
and/or LANs and then bridge it to XMPP for WAN transport. For example,
Peter Waher is working on bridging MQTT and XMPP, and MQTT also has a
special profile for sensor networks based on non-TCP/IP settings, like
Zigbee.

--
ralphm