[Operators] Spammy invites

Kim Alvefur zash at zash.se
Fri Mar 1 12:47:56 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 2013-02-13 09:48, Per Gustafsson wrote:
> I work with Google's chat service, and we are seeing lots of spammy
> invites from users on various federated domains, (...),
> otherwise we will have to institute
> very tight limits of invites per day being sent from federated domains.

How are you replying in this case?  We are hearing complaints from
prosody users about not being able to send invites, which I'm guessing
is this.  It could be that the current rate limit is overzealous or
something.

Something I noticed as a sever developer is that people are seeing
presence bounced with an error on the *outgoing* connection, which is
not valid*.

And this is the error element reported:

<error type='cancel' code='503'><service-unavailable
xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/></error>

If this is the rate limiting then I would suggest some more appropriate
error, or at least some descriptive text.

* Unless bidirectional (xep-288) streams are used.

--
Kim "Zash" Alvefur
Prosody dev