[Operators] Spam Registrations

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu May 23 15:35:37 UTC 2013

On 5/23/13 9:28 AM, Jonas Wielicki wrote:
> I know that this proposal is kind of dangerous as it requires
> introspection of the users messages.
>
> But how about this: After registration, the users is put on a
> surveillance list, for like a few days or weeks. She shall be
> notified about this, in the Terms of service and possibly by a
> system tool reminding about that (good location to link to OTR
> tools also).
>
> During that time, invitations are forced to have text, otherwise
> they're rejected by the server. Additionally, all text messages are
> scanned with a bayes filter, same for the invitation texts.
>
> If the filter alerts that it's possibly spam, it could highlight
> that for an operator, who can then manually investigate the
> account. If the account has been okay for a few weeks and produced
> a reasonable amount of traffic, it can be removed from
> surveillance.

Interesting idea. I'll think about it some more.

> This is just a starting point; I am not an operator of an open
> server (I operate a private one where I know everyone having an
> account by face),

IMHO that is the best approach: no open servers. See here:

http://freeyourspeech.org/

> nor do I have to deal with spam issues right now, except in my
> Inbox (where thunderbird does it's job just fine).
>
> I don't like that proposal too much myself, as it requires
> intruding the users privacy to a certain extent for a certain
> period of time. It's just what my mind came up putting all the
> pieces I've seen on mailinglists these days together.

There is no fundamental human right to an IM account at an open XMPP
server. :-) So if there are hurdles to jump through for the typical
user, I would not be deeply troubled.

Peter

- --