[Operators] Spam Registrations

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu May 23 15:36:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Jonas Wielicki
<xmpp-operators at sotecware.net> wrote:
> I know that this proposal is kind of dangerous as it requires
> introspection of the users messages.
>
> But how about this: After registration, the users is put on a
> surveillance list, for like a few days or weeks. She shall be notified
> about this, in the Terms of service and possibly by a system tool
> reminding about that (good location to link to OTR tools also).
>
> During that time, invitations are forced to have text, otherwise they're
> rejected by the server. Additionally, all text messages are scanned with
> a bayes filter, same for the invitation texts.
>
> If the filter alerts that it's possibly spam, it could highlight that
> for an operator, who can then manually investigate the account. If the
> account has been okay for a few weeks and produced a reasonable amount
> of traffic, it can be removed from surveillance.
>
> This is just a starting point; I am not an operator of an open server (I
> operate a private one where I know everyone having an account by face),
> nor do I have to deal with spam issues right now, except in my Inbox
> (where thunderbird does it's job just fine).
>

> I don't like that proposal too much myself, as it requires intruding the
> users privacy to a certain extent for a certain period of time. It's
> just what my mind came up putting all the pieces I've seen on
> mailinglists these days together.

There are also likely options along these lines that involve less
privacy invasion than operators manually examining the accounts. A
captcha for every subscription request? Only one outstanding (not
reciprocated) roster request at a time?

I'm not saying these are good options, but they're all possible
weapons in an arsenal.

/K