[Operators] Spam Registrations

Maxim Ignatenko gelraen.ua at gmail.com
Thu May 23 15:57:20 UTC 2013

On 23 May 2013 11:15, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> At jabber.org, we turned off in-band registration and forced all users
> to register via https://register.jabber.org/ with CAPTCHA required.
> That did not really prevent spam registrations (at one point we had
> over 10,000 users that we suspected of sending spammy invites to
> Google Talk users).

IMHO, forcing CAPTCHA-protected in-band registration instead of
web-based one is more effective _temporary_ measure, since HTTP is
much more widespread and there's more readily-available
instrumentation for automating account registrations. But, again, it's
only temporary measure and effective only while spammers have not
created efficient tools to bypass it. Email-based account activation
also won't help a lot, since it's not hard to run own SMTP server.
All this makes me think that anything which deals only with
registration, but not actual account activity, won't be effective as a
long-term solution.

--
Best regards,
Maxim