[Operators] Google status?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Tue Aug 12 11:22:23 UTC 2014

Can anybody comment on the current status of interop between Google
(gmail.com) users and the rest of the world?

Personally, I have a Prosody server and various clients like Jitsi and I
understand they correctly implement XMPP.

I've noticed that gmail.com users appear in my buddy list but some of
them haven't been receiving any chat messages while others are receiving
the messages just fine.

This really appears to undermine the credibility of XMPP if a big
provider is allowing messages to silently disappear.

I noticed Google had created a Google+ profile for me, so I went to this
page:
https://plus.google.com/downgrade/

Should that make regular XMPP work again or does the other person have
to do the same thing too perhaps?