[Operators] Google status?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Aug 13 21:49:52 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 01:14:41AM +0400, Jack L. Frost wrote:
> Users will riot for a bit and then proceed to educate their friends
> about the fact that there are better jabber servers.

That's an incredibly naive, myopic attitude.

"better Jabber server" isn't the point.  *communicating* with others is.

What real people will do instead is just use their
gmail/gtalk/hangouts/etc account directly. Once they realize there's
nobody on their Jabber network left to talk to that they can't already
talk to via different means, they'll abandon it entirely.

But hey, what do I know.  I'm just a poor leaf jabber server operator
with a total of three users whose entire rosters (save for two business
contacts of mine) are hosted by Google.  And I can talk to *all* of them
just fine using the google account I need for my phone anyway.

Ain't network effects grand?

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^