[Operators] XMPP forwarding and redirect?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Thu Jan 23 13:11:43 UTC 2014

On 23/01/14 12:42, Marco Cirillo wrote:
> Il 23/01/2014 12:35, Thomas Camaran ha scritto:
>> but is possibile to set record SRV with service XMPP in other server
>> or network and activate hosting service, simple like e-mail service.
>
> That's not the same thing as Dave pointed out,
> You're basically hosting the full service (as normally one would).
>
> What Daniel is looking for is a mail-like redirection/aliasing for
> XMPP, which is currently not provisioned (nor compliant afair).
> All you can forward is the dull stanzas (using the appropriate
> extensions).

Thanks for all this feedback - just to confirm, I was asking about
individual account-level forwarding (not outsourcing a whole domain)

I realize it is not a trivial thing to achieve: SIP provides a redirect
mechanism like HTTP, but that has privacy implications as it gives out
the callee's preferred address.  Simply forwarding a stanza (or SIP
message) means that the final recipient can't check the sender's TLS
certificate at the transport level, they have to configure some rule to
trust the forwarder or everybody has to sign their stanzas with a public
key or something.

The reason for asking this on operators is that it relates to actual
domain operators who want to add some level of XMPP to their users and I
was hoping there may be some solution they can implement quickly,
similar to services they already offer for email.