[Operators] State of XEP-0215 implementations

Niklaus Hofer niklaus at mykolab.ch
Sun Jan 29 15:53:45 UTC 2017

Hey

I've recently setup a STUN / TURN server to complement my XMPP server. I
would like to hand out short-term STUN credentials to users by the means
described in XEP-0215 "3.3 Requesting Credentials".

However, I was wondering how well that XEP is actually supported by
clients. If I make this the only way to retrieve TURN credentials, will
I lock out most users?

I'm asking because this conversation [0] from 2014 suggests that popular
clients have not implemented this. Also both Prosody modules [1] [2]
concerned with this topic seem outdated and not well maintained.

On another note, I am still looking for means to test a server's TURN
functionality and login mechanism. Any tips?

[0] http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-February/020123.html
[1] https://modules.prosody.im/mod_turncredentials.html
[2] https://modules.prosody.im/mod_extdisco.html

Thanks and greetings