[Operators] Google Talk RIP

Cesar Alcalde lambda512 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 07:38:18 UTC 2017

El 25 mar. 2017 1:35, "Sam Rakowski" <devnull at iamdevnull.info> escribió:

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017, Phil Pennock wrote:

>> Third-party XMPP clients will continue to work with Hangouts for
>> 1-on-1 chats. XMPP federation with third-party services providers will
>> no longer be supported starting June 26.

> That's at least better than _pretending_ it works.

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't they do this a few years back? I remember it
quite
bitterly; I lost touch with many people when they shut it down. All I get
now is
presence updates, but I know that unless their resource starts with
"gmail", my
messages disappear into the aether.

In May 19th, 2014 many XMPP services started to make S2S encryption
mandatory. Google didn't support this, so the federation between Google
talk and those XMPP servers broke.