[Operators] Server loss

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 11:45:27 UTC 2017

On 30 April 2017 at 20:58, Mathias Ertl <mati at fsinf.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any news on bringing xmpp.net back up? It was a *very* handy
> tool for validating your TLS certs, TLSA records etc.

No news currently.

> In any case, is the source code of that tool available somehwere? If the
> XSF doesn't have the resources to bring it back online right away, I
> would host my own instance, if it's possible.

The core code is here: https://bitbucket.org/xnyhps/xmppoke

It's not trivial to build (but obviously not impossible). To be able
to test SSLv2 for example, you need an OpenSSL that has SSLv2 support,
which is not an easy find nowadays. This means you can't just grab
OpenSSL from packages.

I think the website code is at
https://bitbucket.org/xnyhps/xmppoke-frontend - but I'm not 100% sure.

The XSF would happily continue to host it, but to avoid a repeat of
events, I think that would only happen if the environment is
rebuildable in an automated way, preferably Docker (as that's what
we've standardized on for the other services). As well as easing
recovery in cases like this, it also helps with future server
migrations, and makes things easier for new volunteers to find their
way around when services are self-contained and documented.

Right now there is nobody (that I'm aware of) working on this, given
limited time and other priorities. However if someone wants to work on
producing a Docker build for example, this would be great for not just
the XSF/xmpp.net but anyone who wants to run their own instance too.

Regards,
Matthew