[SCAM] SCAM meeting minutes - 2020/03/03

Maxime Buquet pep at bouah.net
Tue Mar 3 22:07:22 UTC 2020

Hi SCAM, members,

This is the minutes of our monthly SCAM meeting that happens in
xmpp:scam at muc.xmpp.org?join. It happens every first Tuesday of each
month at 4pm and you're welcome to join!

# Minutes 2020/03/03

## Present

Daniel, Guus, pep.

# Leaflet update

Since last meeting[0] Guus has been working with a designer to get a
leaflet. He regularly shares updates in the channel.

# Supporting Sprints

Everybody agrees that the current proposal[1] is a correct base.

Guus has some concerns about being able to make sure people report the
correct number of participants and would prefer giving out a fixed
amount.

A minimum number of 4 was also mentioned. No action on this right now
even if all present agree. Maybe in a later revision.

Daniel and pep prefer to handle abuses when they show up. Also not
having a rule spelled out doesn't mean SCAM can't refuse to sponsor an
event.

SCAM would be voting for each sprint.

## Financials

Is this going to get out of the SCAM budget? (currently 1000EUR a year),
or is it going to come out of board directly?

15EUR per person with a maximum of 150EUR would allow for 6 sprints a
year. Let's say there's about 300EUR allocated for conferences (swag
etc.), that's minimum 4 sprints.

The idea being that people expense us up to the amount that has been
decided. Also, As most sprints have happened in Europe until now, and
transfering money takes some effort, and that is obviously more work for
the XSF Treasurer. Is it something that they can take on?

We definitely should tell people that it's best for us that one of them
handles money things with us, not all of them.

It would be good to get board (and the treasurer) to approve all this.

ACTION: Ping board.

# Close

Next meeting is Apr. 7th.
Thanks all.

[0]: https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/scam/2020-February/000002.html

[1]: Proposal:

---
1. Money given by the XSF as sponsorship for a sprint shall be used for food
and/or beverages.

The amount is 15EUR per person for the whole event for a maximum of ~100-150EUR
(or equivalent depending on the country / currency).

2. Your event meets the requirements to be sponsored if:
- The topic(s) is XMPP-related.
- It is public and with no entry fee. Limited seats / RSVP are fine.
- It is an event aimed at “contributors” of the protocol or XMPP
  implementations (e.g., developers, translators, documentarians, protocol
  designers).

3. To get your event sponsored once you meet the above requirements, you
should reach out. We have setup a wiki page[2] with contact details.
You can also contact SCAM[1]. Make sure your request gets on the agenda.
You do not need to be an XSF member.

Because you fill the requirements doesn't always mean we will be able to
support you.

SCAM will deliberate on a regular basis (TBD), and depending on the
number of requests, budget, etc., we might grant to one and not the
other (or none at all). In any case, do not hesitate to ask again for a
later event!

Keep your receipts (or some kind of proof) and expense to us the amount
spent up to what has been allocated.

4. Communicate about it!

Before:

Once you have gathered some basic information about your event (date,
location, etc.), publish it on the wiki so that people can learn about
it. The XSF might also link that from their website directly.

During: Build the hype! If you are on social media platforms, maybe put
them to use.

After:

Communicating on what you did is important mostly for two things:
- Ensure the community knows about your work. Make sure people can build
  upon what you have done.
- Show people outside of our sphere that things are happening.

This is usually done by publishing what you have done (possibly
work-in-progress), sending your questions and/or summary of what has
been discussed to the list. etc. We also strongly encourage you to write
an article about it.

We are happy to help at any point if necessary. Please do not hesitate
to get in touch.
---

--
Maxime “pep” Buquet