Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Aug 19 16:58:59 CDT 2008

Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Jonathan Dickinson wrote:
>> Requiring serverless messaging is a deceiving lure.

It is not. That's link-local or zero-configuration networking, and it's
quite a popular technology (see XEP-0174, iChat's Bonjour mode, etc.).

>> What if the client is behind a symmetric NAT? Or some NAT that
>> simply doesn't working with STUN (or ICE/SIP/whatever)? They can't
>> open a encrypted session?
>
> No, in that case they need the "help" of a server. IMHO the real use
> case for serverless messaging is in the LAN. Back to my application
> control using XMPP: I want to access my set-top box from other devices
> in my LAN even if my DSL link is down.

Agreed, this is an important use case.

>> If there is a XEP that defines a stream in a stream (I think there
>> was), one would open a new stream to a remote contact and simply do
>> a starttls. In the case that both clients can be accessed (if they
>> are behind a supporting NAT, or have a public IP) they can open the
>> stream to each other directly and do a starttls.
>
> That is the basic idea of XEP-0247 with the help of XEP-0246. We either
> use serverless messaging or XEP-0247 to open a "connection" to the
> peer and use XEP-0246 to open a new stream and use starttls. The
> question we had (and that is the reason I started the discussion) is:
> how to verify the TLS certificates.

Thanks for bringing the thread back to the original topic. We had some
discussions about this at the XMPP Summit in Portland a month ago, but
no hard conclusions. There's no stable JID (you have a link-local
address) but perhaps the certificate could also be tied to a stable JID
and you form an association between the stable JID and the link-local JID.

/psa