Dirk Meyer dmeyer at tzi.de
Wed Aug 20 04:16:46 CDT 2008

Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 August 2008 14:50:42 Dirk Meyer wrote:
>> The question we had (and that is the reason I started the discussion) is:
>> how to verify the TLS certificates.
>
> A related topic I want to talk about is private key maintenance.  I don't
> think average users will be able to maintain private keys.  Users will easily
> lose their keys, forget to transfer them when buying new computers, create
> multiple keys (by accident, or not) if they regularly use XMPP from multiple
> computers, etc.  Losing or leaving around private keys, and being unaware
> that you even have them, seems very dangerous to me.
>
> One idea that I've kicked around, which can't possibly be new and I haven't
> evaluated the security risks of, is optionally storing a password-protected
> private key on the XMPP server.

I had the same idea while catching up this thread and I like it.

> It may sound like a terrible idea for those of us capable of private
> key maintenance, but for the average person who might otherwise
> leave a trail of private keys on random computers it may be
> preferable...

It should be optional. You can put your key on an USB stick or upload
to the XMPP encrypted. That sounds like a very good idea to me. Adding
very strong encryption here the user only has to remember the
password. If he/she can not do that you are our of luck. But if that
happens it is not that bad, you "only" have to re-key with all your
friends again (and tell them that you are lazy and lost your key).

> Extra points if there'd be a way to authenticate to your XMPP
> account and retrieve your private key with a single password,
> without the XMPP server being able to decrypt the private key.

The XMPP password and the key password should be something completly
different.

As long as there are ill-defined goals, bizarre bugs, and unrealistic
schedules, there will be Real Programmers willing to jump in and Solve
The Problem, saving the documentation for later.