[Security] XEP-0166, XEP-0167, XTLS - crypto and other stories.

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Fri Dec 19 10:00:16 CST 2008

On Friday 19 December 2008 04:26:08 Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Like you can not combine any transport to any application (e.g. ICE-UDP
> and file transfer does not work), you can not use any crypto layer in
> any application.

I think you can use a crypto layer in any application unless the application
says otherwise (e.g. if the application has its own mechanism instead).
Thus, any reliable transport may have TLS and any unreliable transport may
have DTLS.

> VoIP would use SRTP crypto, VPN DTLS. In the future we
> may have something different.

Jingle RTP would define the usage of SRTP (as part of the application, so
there'd be no crypto layer in the Jingle sense) and discourage a crypto
layer.  VPN would simply recommend a crypto layer.

-Justin