[Security] XEP-0166, XEP-0167, XTLS - crypto and other stories.

Dirk Meyer dmeyer at tzi.de
Sat Dec 20 03:44:52 CST 2008

Justin Karneges wrote:
> If we consider SRTP to be a "Jingle crypto layer" then we have to make our
> definition more complex by defining compatible application types or
> introducing new transport types.  For example: ICE-UDP produces an unreliable
> transport, Jingle SRTP consumes a reliable or unreliable transport and
> produces an RTP transport, Jingle RTP consumes a reliable, unreliable, or RTP
> transport.  Mess. :)
>
> My proposal does the least rocking of the boat.

Agreed. The crypto layer should only add security and should not change
the trasnport type. If you have a reliable transport and add crypto, the
result should be a secure transport with the same characteristics as
before. SRTP takes an unreliable transport but outputs something more.

Please do not complain about the coffee. You'll be old and weak
someday, too!