[Security] XEP-0189 and XEP-0178 Interaction

Dirk Meyer dmeyer at tzi.de
Wed Sep 10 04:32:32 CDT 2008

Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Tue Sep  9 19:51:43 2008, Dirk Meyer wrote:
>> BTW, if a bad client removes all certificates except its own, you
>> still have control because you always have the password login.
>
> Clients might also be able to change the password... That's possible
> now with the right XEPs.

It is? Can you give me a pointer in the right direction? IMHO to
change the password you should present the old one and that is
something a certificate-login-based client can not do.

>> Comments on that? And where to put it? XEP-0189? XEP-0178? A new
>> XEP?
>
> I'm thoroughly against "special" pubsub nodes, because they
> complicate the processing of pubsub/PEP requests.

It was only an idea. What do others think?

> But I don't think you want this. I think you want to have a user
> control a "mini-me" account for automata - so maybe they get a fixed
> resource, and low rights - no ability to change certificates,
> passwords, or even roster items - and that'scomparitively much harder
> to do.

Fixed resource could be easy if the resource is in the certificate.
Not to change passwords is also simple if you need the old password to
change it. But not to change roster items or add new clients will be
much harder. It would require some sort of config on the server for
each resource.

Stolen from PubSub:

<configure xmlns='xmpp:tmp:resource' resource'foo'>
  <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='submit'>
    <field var='FORM_TYPE' type='hidden'>
      <value>xmpp:tmp:resource#config</value>
    </field>
    <field var='resource#add_clients>
      <value>0</value>
    </field>
    <field var='resource#change_roster>
      <value>1</value>
    </field>
  </x>
</configure>

But that will require much additional login in the server.

Someday I'll find that peer and reset his connection!