[Security] GSoC proposal: Identity-based end-to-end encryption for XMPP

David Núñez dnunez at lcc.uma.es
Tue Mar 15 09:20:31 CST 2011

The idea is to use the XMPP servers as Key Generation Centers (KGC), since they already provide procedures for user authentication. Thus, the project would have to develop the server components required to issue private keys to users, among others. I think that the fact that the JID of the user you want to securely communicate could act as a public key is interesting to the XMPP protocol.

However, I am aware that there have been several responses to my proposal, and it seems that it is not very interesting to XMPP. I would like to thank you for your thoughtful insights. As one of you suggested in a previous response, I will study in more depth the current problems in end-to-end communication in XMPP and try to propose something else. I was hoping to participate in this Google Summer of Code edition. Any ideas that could be arranged as a proposal?

Best regards,
David.