[Social] XEP-0277, improvements and file attaching

Vanaryon vanaryon at vanaryon.eu
Wed Jul 14 10:28:47 CDT 2010

Hello,

I'm currently working on the Jappix project, which aims at creating a
complete XMPP web-client (with social features). That's why I integrated
XMPP over Microblogging. For any tests, the code is here:
http://svn.codingteam.net/jappix/ (at the moment I'm writing this lines,
the server seems to be overloaded, sorry...).

But I think some things might be added, or precised:

Improvements

-> how to make the urn:xmpp:microblog:0 node persistent for PEP, because
a microblog is something persistent, and actually, PEP server does not
allow persistent items. There's a solution to avoid this, but I really
think it might be precised on the XEP, just to help the people who
integrate it in their clients (I personally had to ask a guy from
ProcessOne how to override this!).

It just works by sending to the server a PubSub node configuration like
this stanza:

<iq xmlns="jabber:client" id="4103fc3fd34802cf666e684305a73e1a"
type="set">
    <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#owner">
        <configure node="urn:xmpp:microblog:0">
            <x xmlns="jabber:x:data" type="submit">
                <field var="FORM_TYPE" type="hidden">

<value>http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#node_config</value>
                </field>

                <field var="pubsub#persist_items">
                    <value>1</value>
                </field>

                <field var="pubsub#max_items">
                    <value>10000</value>
                </field>
            </x>
        </configure>
    </pubsub>
</iq>

I think a simple link to the referring description in the PubSub XEP
should be added.

File attaching

-> giving the user the opportunity to attach a file (or multiple files)
to its microblog post would be great. Status.net allow users to upload
files with their notices, why not with XMPP?

Moreover, attaching a photo or a video would enable the users to have a
better social experience of their microblogging over XMPP. These files
can be uploaded using HTTP, that's what I used this method for Jappix
and it works well. It still doesn't support multiple files attaching and
displaying, but I think it will be done in the future.

For that, I suggest to have a <file> XML childred from the <entry> node,
like this one:

<file name="Juliet, with her Romeo"
url="http://montague.lit/romeo/files/bf5acf088e142d004b453f031446250c.jpg" />

Maybe that we should be able to specify the file size in octets and the
the image size in pixels (if the file is an image), with some other
extra attributes, to let the client displaying extra-infos without
getting the file.

That's all I had to say,

Waiting for a reply ;)

Valérian Saliou.