[standards-jig] Pub/Sub Explanation

David Waite mass at akuma.org
Wed Apr 17 04:35:20 UTC 2002

Adam Theo wrote:

> Hmm... what about joining groupchats/conferences? It seems that what
> conference does is just a very conversation-centric (and fast-paced)
> pubsub. But then, what about the whole <message> treatment? Groupchats
> are definately a <message>, since they are human conversation centric,
> but pubsub will be <iq> based, I assume.

It is just a very specialized publish/subscribe model:
- all publishers are (usually) subscribers
- feature for retrieving recent publications to a topic
- metainformation associated with a topic (subject)
- exposure of the ACL (access control list) and current subscriber list
- subscriber list changes and meta-info changes are pushed as events on
the topic.

-David Waite