[standards-jig] jabber:iq:stats

Russell Davis rkdavis at burninghorse.com
Thu Aug 1 23:38:36 UTC 2002

David Waite wrote:

> I'm just curious - I see no mention of SNMP on the JEP, and a lot of
> this information would be very useful to be able to eventually fetch
> these statistics via existing SNMP tools. Have you considered making
> this more SNMP-like?

SNMP was in the back of my mind as I was writing the draft (and I assume
the minds of my coauthors) but as  I did not expect that the draft was
anywhere near it's final form and really only wanted to get people to
start thinking about statistics and other corporate needs I felt that at
the time it was better to start with the base that I did and work from
there to get a concensious rather than try to force ideas down peoples
throats. Excepting the MUST/MAY language which I did force down peoples
throats expecting it to be "excised with extreme prejudice" in the final
form of the draft and that produced the nice solution from Ryan Eatmon
to my component/server support problem.

bst rgrds
Russell Davis
jid: ukscone at jabber.org