[standards-jig] Invisibility Support in Jabber

Jeremie jeremie at jabber.org
Fri Aug 9 05:18:47 UTC 2002

> ARGH. Despite what /some/ of the Internet Drafts say, type="available"
> /is/ a part of the protocol. Any docs which leave it out are in error.

ARGH ARGH!

I can't believe this misconception is still around :)

There never has been a type="available" since a presence packet is
intrinsically always "available" unless you specifically type it to
something else (it's *presence* after all).  The server actively removes
the type attribute if it's set to "available" both because the docs were
confusing on this at one point back in 99/2000 and some prototype client
was sending them.

Jer