[standards-jig] JNG Ramblings.

Mike Lin mikelin at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 13 15:45:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 11:22, Peter Millard wrote:
> Having implemented various ways to deal with Jabber's
> "unusual" xml stream implementation, I'd say that doing binary framing would
> be just as much work (if not more) for programmers.

Having actually implemented both ways multiple times, I can _tell_ you
that it's vastly easier to write a wire framer for the binary protocol
under asynchronous input conditions. I wrote it in OCaml first in an
afternoon, copied the algorithm and wrote it in Java in a day or two,
and given the Java code I'm going to port it to C# in a couple hours,
tops.

It might be harder if you just want to use blocking I/O and your SAX
parser has a cleverly abstracted input mechanism, fine. It's silly to
have the protocol restrict us in this way.

-Mike