[standards-jig] new RFC draft

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 10:01:44 UTC 2002

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:31:02AM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I have posted a *preliminary draft* of the new RFC that the Jabber
> Software Foundation plans to submit to the IETF as an Informational RFC in
> order to document the Jabber protocols. Your feedback is most welcome.
[...]
> http://foundation.jabber.org/jabber-rfc.txt

  Excellent !

I didn't yet read it thoroughtly but here are a few suggestions:

4.4 XML Streams and XML Fragments

  replace "well-formed XML fragment" by "well-balanced fragment".
And add the following definition:

  "A fragment of an XML document is is said to be well-balanced if
   it matches production [43] content of the XML 1.0 specification"

4.5.3 <message/> element

  I suggest adding a sentence saying that this element can be the target
of custom extension, that MUST be defined in other namespaces and that
the following subsections only attempt to describes the part of the
message element within the Jabber namespace.

4.5.5 <iq/> element

  Something similar to 4.5.3, since the existing prose already indicate
the use of a different namespace for the IQ space.

5.2 Secure Identity and Encryption

  replace

  "node-to-node trust is already in use in email"

  by

  "node-to-node trust is already in use in the SMTP protocol"

  it a bit more formal :-)

On the whole document, sometimes the line wrap is done at really
bad places, like 6. Multi-User Chat

     running.  Each participant in a room is identified as a node at host/
     resource, ...

 or 4.4.3 Stream Errors

     or host) that detects the error will send a closing tag </
     stream:error> and then ...

Depending on the original format this may be trivial or difficult to fix
in a relibale way.

Reference [4] the XML specification, we have released a Second Edition
of the specification:

[4] World Wide Web Consortium, "Extensible Markup Language (XML)
    1.0 (Second Edition), W3C xml, October 2000,
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006

thanks for updating this reference.

Daniel

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/