[standards-jig] No Subject....

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 19:50:06 UTC 2002

On 2/1/02 2:18 PM, "Casey Crabb" <debug at nafai.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Just a quick comment:
> If I understand correctly you want each frame to be a complete xml
> document-like-thing (so that a valid frame would parse by itself in a
> xml parser). If what I'm hearing is correct, then we need a new XML
> parser for each frame. Creating this parser can be very expense to the
> point that it would negate the bonus from the framing.
> If I'm misunderstanding just ignore me :)

:)  It's a valid concern.  The real question though boils down to
implementation specific issues.  Theoretically there is nothing in any
standard XML parsing standard (at least that I know of) that says there is
any significant cost to parsing multiple documents either through multiple
parsers (perhaps with shared dictionaries), reusing parser instances on
sequential documents, etc.

With the interest in XML-based web services I would expect that most parsers
will be designed for parsing many separate documents quickly and
efficiently... Exactly what would be needed here.

-iain