[standards-jig] Re: [Foundation] streamlining the JIGs

dave at dave.tj dave at dave.tj
Tue Feb 26 03:15:03 UTC 2002

You may very well be right, for all I know, about the window of
opportunity not staying open forever.  However, none of our competing
protocols is advancing nearly as quickly as we are, so I think time is
on our side if we simply continue doing what we've been doing so far
(outrunning the competition).  If we start making drastic changes,
we may make more progress, or we may mess everything up.  I just don't
think it's worth taking the risk until we have much more to gain and
much less to lose (i.e., when we have more momentum).

Sincerely,
Dave Cohen <dave at dave.tj>

BTW - If you'd spent a year leading a team and finally put together a
JEP, how'd you feel if the council decided not to approve the product
of your labor?  I know I'd feel as if I had wasted a year, and I'd
probably take out my frustration on some unfortunate guy, and that may
have adverse effects on Jabber's progress, since I'm one of several
thousand people actively attempting to advance Jabber, rather than one
of several hundred thousand (as in other IM systems).  Besides, the
council isn't going to notice many problems because _nobody_ is going
to notice them until _much_ later.  (There are a few curious "features"
of the current Jabber protocol that stem from fundamental decisions that
went the wrong way - I define the "wrong" way as the less flexible way.)