[standards-jig] Outstanding Issues

Thomas Muldowney temas at box5.net
Tue Jul 9 02:38:39 UTC 2002

Well I've been biting my nails for a while hoping for things to pull
together a bit more, but it's just not happening.  We're coming to a
point where a lot of the new ideas and features are going to be needed
ASAP and they still seem to be floating in the mist.  Yes, I'm being
kind of selfish here, because I'm going to start work on Jabber
integration with JabberStudio soon, and some of the issues are key to my
design, but overall everyone will want these soon =)  So, with that in
mind here is what I see as the big outstanding issues (in the order I
thought of them as I typed):

#1)  PubSub - This just has so much potential and power inherent to it,
yet we stalled for a while.  Then we heard there was some sort of
agreement, yet we haven't seen a new doc, jep, or anything really.  We
need closure, or they need a vote to pick one or the other.

#2)  Browse/Disco - Similar but different.  Seems there might be a way
to find a common ground, but there has been some tension about the
creation of Disco.  Do we need a group hug and then mind melding time?
I don't know but it sure would be nice to figure that out =)

#3)  Encryption - Paul, still working on a new draft?

#4)  Packet Headers - status update?

#5)  i18n - another idle, any status?

#6)  SASL - Should be going to vote shortly, since last call ends
tomorrow.

#7)  Improved semantics for offline msgs and msg storage - JEP 13
touched on this, but it seemed to die away.  This is one of those
selfish ones, but a lot more people seem interested in it recently as
well.

That's all I can think of right now.  Personally pubsub and browse/disco
strike me as the most needed components of the Jabber protocol right
now.  I don't know what to do to speed these along since I haven't been
very involved in the process of either.  So feel free to add to the list
or post some comments.  At the very least we can get some conversation
going about this stuff.

--temas