[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Jim Ray jray at jimithing.net
Wed Jul 17 12:38:33 UTC 2002

My first comment is that  a complete list of emoticons/genicons should
be agreed upon.  That way the themes all implement the same things.
 This would eliminate having to rank icon sets.

Other comments mingled in:

> A few quick questions:
> -  Why only support PNG?  Is there a _serious_ reason for this?  What
> about MNG?  JPG?  GIF?  etc.

I agree here.  Why not support gif, jpg, and svg?  Actually, with SVG
you could have one document that defines all the images.  At least go
ahead and define the SVG stuff, so we don't have to revisit this at a
later time when SVG support is available.  And I don't agree with the
statement that SVG has poor support on most platforms.  SVG has poor
support on some platforms is a true statement. You may have to do some
research but it's there.  I could list out all the libraries to make my
point more clear but that would take too much time.

> -  How does one client retrieve the iconset that is being used by
> another person?  Or should someone's own iconset be used even to
> display icons in incoming messages?  (does that sentence make sence? ;-) )

I think what the author is proposing is that clients support the file
structure and icondef.xml file.  These would be installed from the web
somewhere.

> -  What kind of MIME-type or file extension should be used?  (eg. to
> allow automatic installation from within the browser, á la Winamp)

I would guess since it has a several files in it you would use .zip or
.tar.gz/bz2.    But I didn't see this in the doc.

Jim