[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Wed Jul 17 16:18:50 UTC 2002

On 7/17/02 5:38 AM, "Jim Ray" <jray at jimithing.net> wrote:

> My first comment is that  a complete list of emoticons/genicons should
> be agreed upon.  That way the themes all implement the same things.
> This would eliminate having to rank icon sets.

I would tentatively agree.  At least some base set that is considered core
for a compliant implementation.  Other standard but non-core, and user
defined extensions could then be added by advanced implementations.  I also
think that it would be nice to include a base set of these icons as part of
the reference implementation (so implementers can opt to just include the
reference emoticons).

> Other comments mingled in:
>
>> A few quick questions:
>> -  Why only support PNG?  Is there a _serious_ reason for this?  What
>> about MNG?  JPG?  GIF?  etc.
>
> I agree here.  Why not support gif, jpg, and svg?  Actually, with SVG
> you could have one document that defines all the images.  At least go
> ahead and define the SVG stuff, so we don't have to revisit this at a
> later time when SVG support is available.  And I don't agree with the
> statement that SVG has poor support on most platforms.  SVG has poor
> support on some platforms is a true statement. You may have to do some
> research but it's there.  I could list out all the libraries to make my
> point more clear but that would take too much time.

:)  Yes, since Jabber is fully committed to XML it makes sense to support
SVG.  Even on platforms where SVG is not supported there are free tools
available for converting SVG to raster formats (Batik from Apache for
example).  I'd put my vote in for making the standard SVG and letting
implementations either find an SVG renderer or SVG to raster filter.

-iain