[standards-jig] Re: [JDEV] DSPS

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Wed Jul 24 14:04:47 UTC 2002

Hi Matthew!

Matthew A. Miller wrote:

>Many within the Jabber Community are finding the need for something like
>DSPS.  This is why it was brought forward (well, that and the somewhat
>general consensus that PASS is lacking (-: ).  If you believe a
>SOCKS-based approach meets these needs better, then by all means draft
>up a JEP, so we can discuss it!

I don't like DSPS (especially as the standard way of transfering files)
either. But there is no need for a SOCKS-JEP, because SOCKS is an
already existing protocol that doesn't need special support by the
Jabber protocol. The client authors just have to implement it.
I hope I have to time to implement it in Gabber for file transfers soon.
At the moment SOCKS is only used for outgoing connections and not for
incoming connections (sending files).

If you don't have a SOCKS proxy available at your network it's also
possible to transfer files by putting them on a http server that is
outside the firewalled network first. E.g. this can be done with WebDAV.

I really think that everything you need for file transfers between
firewalled hosts is already there. I beleave that in band file transfer,
server supported file transfer and all these things come up all the time
because the client authors don't know what is already possible.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Fon: +49-700 77007770		http://matthias-wimmer.de/