[standards-jig] pub/sub discussion

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jun 13 16:48:34 UTC 2002

We had a long and fruitful discussion about pub/sub this afternoon at
JabberConf. Here's the stuff we reached consensus on (we won't talk about
the contentious issues)....

1. You subscribe to a topic ID

2. A topic ID is just somle string (MAY have semantic meaning, but
doesn't have to)

3. Payload is optional

4. There are different ways to discover topics: search, browse, naming
conventions, carrier pigeon, etc.

5. Topics MUST include the following properties:
   - ID
   - Publisher(s)
   - Subscriber(s)

I'll report more later including some fun protocol snippets. Or maybe the
other Peter will -- he ran the session, I was just the scribe. :)

Jabber Software Foundation