[standards-jig] Pub/Sub for JNG?

Craig ckaes at jabber.com
Wed May 1 20:15:38 UTC 2002

<gzip-over-udp-madness snipped>

I know this is obvious, but I just _have_ to chime in with it.  I've
done a fair amount of load testing of JCS in a lot of different
configurations.  Load tests are typically done on a 100Mbit network
(shared, not segmented) -- probably less than you'd have on the
backplane of a serious install.  Running at seriously high throughput,
it turns out that processor -- not network is the bottleneck for a mix
of JUD/TC/IM traffic.  Couple this with the exceptional job that modern
network hardware does at text compression and I'm left wondering what
the advantages in udp-as-tcp-with-gzip are here?  Are folks running
servers with thousands of users at home on the other side of a dialup?
 Are end users having a problem with the couple hundred bytes going
through every so often?  Are people really having problems with the
bandwidth?  Am I just not getting it?

--Craig, who likes to optimize at known bottlenecks.