[standards-jig] IPR policy

Ben Schumacher ben-jabber-standards at blahr.com
Thu May 30 15:15:28 UTC 2002

Ashvil-

While I agree with you that some companies might balk at assigning their
copyrights to the JSF, I think its important that we make this a
requirement for JEPs. In order to ensure that any additions to the
protocol remain open and unencumbered, the JSF should have control over
them, IMHO. (I'll let DW chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. ;-))

As a point of reference, the FSF requires assignment of copyright for
slightly different reasons, which I'm not sure if they apply here, but
here's the link none-the-less: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/why-assign.html

Cheers,

bs.