[standards-jig] IPR policy

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 30 16:56:45 UTC 2002

Yes, this is for JEPs -- if you want your protocol enhancement to be
accepted as an official JSF standard, you assign copyright over the
enhancement and accompanying document to the JSF. If you want to keep
protocol enhancements private and retain all rights over them, the
solution is to simply not submit them to the JSF. This is much the way
that the IETF does things. If you want to play the game, you have to
follow the rules and share your toys. :) Note that you can still patent an
implementation of such an open standard, but you need to make it available
under a royalty-free license. This kind of policy has not prevented large
companies from participating in the standards process at the IETF or W3C,
so I'd think they wouldn't mind the same kind of policy at the JSF.

Jabber Software Foundation