[standards-jig] iq:register required fields

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Wed Apr 2 21:56:01 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I'd like to start a discussion about 'user account information' in the
jabber world. Currently we have vcard and the information gathered during
iq:register. I have noticed that some clients ignore 'required' registration
information (see http://www.jabber.org/protocol/registration.html). One
major reason for this is that they don't query the registration fields
before setting them, so there's no opportunity for knowing what's required
and what's not.

There also seems like a lot of overlap between vcard and iq:register forms.

What is the general consensus on things? Is iq:register beyond setting
username and password/hash/sequence basically deprecated behavior? Should we
drop the registration form information altogether or the REQUIRED language
in the spec regarding providing this information? Or is this still something
to be enforced?

It seems valuable to be able to require certain types of data to be entered
during registration. However, if no one is going to support/implement it, I
think we should change the specs to align with practice.

Thoughts?

-iain