[standards-jig] JEP-0060 PubSub: We need privacy lists in PubSub

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Mon Feb 17 21:25:30 UTC 2003

Given that multiple publishers can publish to a single node and given
that some receivers of messages may be only interested in messages from
some subset of those who are authorized to publish to a node, it would
be desirable to provide a mechanism for establishing "privacy lists" in
PubSub that can be used to filter messages based on sender. The logic
behind this is very much like that which is cited in Section 7 of:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xmpp-im-02.txt
i.e.:

   "Most instant messaging systems have found it necessary to implement
   some method for users to block communications from specific other
   users (this is also required by section 2.3.5 of RFC 2779 [2]).  In
   XMPP this is done using the 'jabber:iq:privacy' namespace by managing
   one's privacy lists (also called "zebra lists" since they are
   flexible combinations of blacklists and whitelists)."

Presence and much of IM is simply a subset of the more general PubSub
problem. Thus, we should not be surprised to see that a PubSub system
should evolve to become a proper superset of any IM and/or Presence
protocol. Personally, I believe that if PubSub had been specified first,
then IM and Presence would have simply been applications layered on the
PubSub system. Given this, it is a bit odd to see IM/Presence and PubSub
being defined at the same time in different, apparently unrelated
specifications.

		bob wyman