[standards-jig] NEW: XHTML IM (JEP-0071)

Sebastiaan Deckers cbas at screaming3d.com
Tue Feb 18 16:42:15 UTC 2003

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I've posted version 0.2 of this document with some further restrictions
> and a more complete description of the thinking behind it.
>
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0071.html
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Saint-Andre
> Jabber Software Foundation
>
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>

>>I've written a new JEP that attempts to formalize the usage of XHTML
>>within the Jabber community:
>>
>>http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0071.html
>>
>>It's quite preliminary and requires much work in order to be fully
>>useful, but it's a start. So have at it! :)
>>
>>Peter
>>
>>--
>>Peter Saint-Andre
>>Jabber Software Foundation
>>http://www.jabber.org/people/stpeter.php

Great job!  This is way better than using XHTML Basic, which despite its
name is much too advanced for instant messages.

I would like to request that <span/> is added to the list of allowed
tags in XHTML-IM.  Span is often used for text formatting of individual
words because most browsers (IE, Mozilla, etc) use "inline" as the
default value for the display CSS property of <span/> (as opposed to
"block" which would break the line after the formatted word).

--
Sebastiaan