[standards-jig] UPDATED: XHTML IM (JEP-0071)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Feb 19 22:15:45 UTC 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Matt Jankowski wrote:

> It might be useful to allow clients to send a <style> section within a
> <head>, and have these styles apply to all future messages within that
> stream, until another one is received.  That way, if I DO have a .css file
> that I'd like to apply to all of my messages, I can just send it once
> instead of with every message.

Well, in IM there is no <head>. Basically the "document" in Jabber is the
entire stream. Now, maybe it would be nice to negotiate a stylesheet for a
conversation or associate a stylesheet with a certain user (hmm, that's
got possibilities). But I think that would happen outside the context of
XHTML IM. However, you'd need to reference those styles via classes and
make sure that the other person generates the right class attributes.

> Why specifically eliminate <strong> and <em>?  I would think that it will
> be just as easy to allow someone to select 'strong' from a menu as
> it would for them to select 'bold'...

Just 'cause I'm anal about the physical vs. logical distinction.

> Would a compliant client be REQUIRED to apply the styles it received to an
> incoming message, or could it allow it's user to define their own styles
> to apply to messages?

I have to think those would be user preferences, as is done in browsers
(my local styles can override those provided in the document).

> Just a few thoughts.  I'm having trouble seperating a 'document' from a
> 'message', and trying to bring too much of a webpage into an IM message,
> perhaps.

Yeah, it's a bit mind-bending at times. As with streaming XML, here too
Jabber is using things in quite a different way with XHTML IM.