[standards-jig] ical jep

Katie Capps Parlante capps at osafoundation.org
Wed Jun 11 02:04:39 UTC 2003

A few questions/thoughts about jabber and icalendar:

(1) How does my jabber client (or any other calendar user agent) access
my calendar data on my calendar store?
    - viewing calendar events
    - creating/deleting/modifying calendar events
    - notifications when calendar events have changed in my calendar
store (usually via some other calendar user agent)

(2) How does my jabber client (or any other calendar user agent) help me
schedule events with other people?
    - publishing a subset of my calendar to someone else (usually on
demand, perhaps only free/busy time)
    - requesting/viewing a subset of someone else's calendar
    - creating/sending an invitation
    - creating/sending a response to an invitation
    - receiving/viewing invitations and responses

(3) How does my jabber client (or any other calendar user agent) let me
view other calendar stores? (similar to (1), but for shared calendars)
    - viewing calendar events
    - notifications when calendar events have changed

You could imagine jabber being used as the transport for #1, or WebDAV,
or CAP.

I think #2 is most interesting for jabber, interoperability between
different CUAs (and/or jabber clients). iTIP addresses the content for
such interoperability. Some CUAs support iMIP -- email as the protocol
-- but email falls short for exchanging free-busy data.

Imagine this use case: I get email from a friend that she wants to meet
with me. I notice in my jabber client that she's present. I open my CUA
to next week, and somehow "select" the whole week's free-busy
information. I drag the selection to my jabber client, and hit send. The
info is packaged up as iTIP info, wrapped in an iCal "envelope" and sent
to my friend. On her side, she can look at the events as text, or she
can drag them to her CUA and see them on top of her calendar
(temporarily). She creates a proposed time, drags it to her jabber
client, and I recieve the invitation. I accept, adding the invitation to
my CUA, which saves it back to my calendar store.

Details may change based on whether or not the jabber client and the CUA
are the same app, etc., but perhaps this paints an interesting picture...

Cheers,
Katie