[standards-jig] Re: My IP Address

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Sun Sep 7 19:03:49 UTC 2003

On Sunday 07 September 2003 03:32 am, Michael Brown wrote:
> [...]

I'd say the problem here is less about supporting JEP-0065 (this will change,
I'm sure, as more clients implement the newer File Transfer specification)
and more about the fact that a JEP-0065 proxy doesn't really solve the same
problem that the finding the external IP address does.  Using the external IP
address gives us one more direct-connect possibility before resorting to less
desirable means (ie, any method that is not direct).

The bottom line is this:  if we don't get this feature in servers, then
clients will be doing stupid things like requesting HTTP URLs to discover
their IP address.

-Justin